Ten stars selected for Italy Test
Scotland Head Coach Gregor Townsend has named 10 Edinburgh Rugby stars in a new look squad to face Italy at BT Murrayfield this Saturday 20 March – kick off 2:15pm.
With seven personnel changes to the starting XV that faced Ireland last weekend, hooker Dave Cherry makes his first start for Scotland and packs down in the front-row alongside clubmate Rory Sutherland.
A new lock combination sees Grant Gilchrist paired with Exeter Chief Sam Skinner in the second-row, while Jamie Ritchie and Hamish Watson are once again named on the flanks.
In the backline, wing duo Darcy Graham and Duhan van de Merwe both start as Scotland look to secure their second victory of the Championship.
The capital side are further represented on the bench with Simon Berghan, Nick Haining and Jaco van de Walt all named among the replacements.
Head Coach Gregor Townsend said: “Saturday is an opportunity for us to show an improved performance and a much truer reflection of who we are as a team. It’s also an opportunity for a number of players in their first start of the Championship.
“How we perform physically this weekend is going to be very important, both in terms of the energy and effort that is demanded from you each time you represent Scotland, and also our impacts in every contact. Whenever we play Italy, the contact area is fiercely contest and I’m sure this game will be no different.
“Italy have been playing ambitious rugby and have performed better away from home in this year’s championship, causing both England and France a number of problems. We expect them to produce their best rugby of the season against us, so we are focused on delivering a full 80-minute performance at BT Murrayfield on Saturday.”
Scotland team to play Italy at BT Murrayfield in the 2021 Guinness Six Nations
Saturday 20 March (kick-off 2:15pm) – live on BBC Sport
15. Sean Maitland (Saracens) - 52 caps
14. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) - 17 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) - 29 caps
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) - 16 caps
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh) - 8 caps
10. Stuart Hogg CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 83 caps
9. Scott Steele (Harlequins) – 3 caps
1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 14 caps
2. David Cherry (Edinburgh) 3 caps
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 36 caps
4. Sam Skinner (Exeter Chiefs) – 10 caps
5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 43 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 25 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 39 caps
8. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
16. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps
17. Jamie Bhatti (Bath Rugby) – 17 caps
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 29 caps
19. Alex Craig (Gloucester) – Uncapped
20. Nick Haining (Edinburgh) – 6 caps
21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 40 caps
22. Jaco van de Walt (Edinburgh) – 1 cap
23. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 26 caps