In rewind: Dragons

In rewind: Dragons

We take a look back at three classic results against Dragons ahead of Friday night's round six encounter against the Welsh club.

Edinburgh 34-17 Dragons – Duhan’s double delivers the win

Dragons travelled north in February 2019 looking for a much needed away victory in the Guinness PRO14 – something they had not tasted in nearly four years.

The capital side eventually fought off a spirited Dragons comeback to secure a bonus-point win at Murrayfield and stay in the hunt for a PRO14 play-off place.

James Johnstone twice put the hosts in front but each time it was cancelled out by a Tyler Morgan score.

Josh Lewis edged Dragons in front with a penalty but Jaco van der Walt levelled. Then tries from Magnus Bradbury and Duhan Van der Merwe (twice) eased Edinburgh clear as they seized control.

The then-result moved Richard Cockerill's side into second in Conference B, ahead of third place Ulster by two points but 17 behind eventual Champions, Leinster.

Edinburgh 33-18 Dragons – Fruean grabs the bonus-point on debut

Edinburgh faced Dragons In the club’s first home match of the 2017/18 season and continue their winning start to the Championship with a bonus-point victory over the Welsh side at Myreside

Gavin Henson's boot put the Welsh side 6-0 up but Duncan Weir replied with two penalties before Chris Dean's sleight of hand created a Blair Kinghorn try.

Henson reduced the Dragons' deficit after Weir was sin-binned, but Kinghorn sent Sam Hidalgo-Clyne diving over.

Three Henson penalties made it 20-18, but Junior Rasolea's try sealed victory before Robbie Fruean grabbed a fourth late on.

Fruean’s try was particular highlight. The Kiwi marked his debut by slicing through the tired Dragons defence to go under the posts without a finger laid on him.

Edinburgh 24-20 Dragons – Gilchrist’s late score seals dramatic victory

A dramatic late comeback saw Edinburgh snatch victory from the jaws of a potential 10th straight defeat to deny Dragons a win at Myreside.

The visitors built a 20-3 lead with 10 minutes left after tries from Pat Howard and Carl Meyer and two penalties from Angus O'Brien.

Blair Kinghorn had a try disallowed for an Allan Dell offence but crossed with seven minutes left to eat into the Welsh side’s lead.

Damian Hoyland added a second before Grant Gilchrist plunged over in the 82nd minute to send the home support wild.

Referee Dan Jones referred the try to the television match official, but it was belatedly confirmed and Edinburgh celebrated a much-needed victory!

Spread the word

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates from the club.

sign up