Late score seals hard fought draw

Edinburgh scored two converted tries in the last four minutes to earn a 28-28 draw in an entertaining finale to the season at Parc y Scarlets.

Replacement Boan Venter was the hero as the loosehead prop powered under the sticks in the 82nd minute to secure the hard fought draw.

A crowd of just over 1,000 were present to see Scarlets fail to avenge their 6-3 home defeat in the PRO14 regular season back in November.

It was the first time fans had been admitted at Parc y Scarlets since the Southern Kings fixture in February 2020.

Tom Rogers and Dafydd Hughes also scored a tries for Scarlets with Dan Jones and Sam Costelow both converting two.

Marshall Sykes, Jamie Ritchie, Jack Blain and Venter scored Edinburgh’s tries with Blair Kinghorn and Nathan Chamberlain converting two apiece.

Scarlets had the first chance for points but turned down a kickable penalty in favour of an attacking line-out and they were rewarded with the opening try.

From the line-out they moved the ball wide for Rogers to send Hardy over with an inside pass with a conversion from Jones giving his side a 7-0 lead at the end of an enterprising and evenly-contested opening quarter.

However, Edinburgh looked the more potent attackers with centres James Johnstone and Cameron Hutchison regularly testing the home defence and on a couple of occasions the Scots were only denied by the lack of accuracy with their final pass.

After 24 minutes the capital side deservedly drew level when lock Sykes finished off a succession of forward drives, but within five minutes Scarlets were back in front.

From just inside the opposition half, Hardy took a quick tap penalty to dart away before sending Rogers on a 30-metre run to the line with a conversion from Jones giving Scarlets a 14-7 half-time advantage.

Four minutes after the restart, the hosts introduced Wales international prop Samson Lee for his first game since December.

Lee replaced Pieter Scholtz who along with centre Tyler Morgan and No 8 Uzair Cazziem were making their final appearances for Scarlets.

The home side suffered a blow when lock Morgan Jones was sin-binned for a dangerous clear-out on Edinburgh flanker Connor Boyle and the Scots immediately capitalised when captain Ritchie crashed over from close range.

Scarlets returned to a full complement of 15 with no further damage to the scoreboard before their opponents lost a man to the bin when Blain took out Steff Evans in an aerial collision.

The hosts took full advantage with some neat handling to send Hardy over for his second before Hughes finished off a driving line-out and the game looked up for Edinburgh.

However, Blain returned from the bin to score with a well timed angle, before Venter forced his way over to earn Edinburgh a deserved draw in the 82nd minute.

live commentary 1:00 PM Sunday 13 Jun 2021

{{ comment.matchTime }}

Kick-off 1:00 PM



Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates from the club.

sign up