Edinburgh v Ospreys

Steve Tandy’s side took an early, and deserved, lead when Dmitri Arhip crashed over the line from short-distance, however, the hosts soon rallied as Jason Tovey knocked over a simple penalty to put his side’s first points on the board. The ever-reliable Sam Davies would knock-over a three-pointer to increase his team’s advantage, but when Blair Kinghorn sprinted over in the corner, the game was left in the balance. Two further penalties from Jason Tovey would give Richard Cockerill’s side a 16-10 lead at the break.

Edinburgh shot out of the blocks to begin the second-half and scored their second try of the evening with only two minutes on the clock. Nathan Fowles was the man who finished off an explosive passage of play. Now bossing the match, Edinburgh turned the screw and when Jason Tovey glided through the Ospreys’ defence to touch down, it appeared the bonus-point was all but in the bag. The hosts were made to wait, however, and with time running out, it was the substitute Bradbury who wrestled his way over the try-line for the all-important bonus-point securing try.

Despite leaving it late, Richard Cockerill was left delighted with the result and said: “I was very pleased with the second-half and even in the first-half, when we got into our rhythm, we did some excellent stuff.

We’ve been playing some great rugby in the last month and you can see that we’re getting better. When we keep hold of the ball, we have shown that we can create chances going forward. I was delighted with the five points tonight. We’ve got a long way to go, but I’m really pleased with the consistency which we’ve shown.

Although it was Ospreys who showed the early impetus, it was the hosts who were given the initial opportunity to put points on the board. When the visitors were penalised at the breakdown, Edinburgh stand-off Tovey attempted to curl in a tricky penalty, only to see his effort miss tantalisingly wide. Ospreys were awarded for their early dominance, however, and on 12 minutes they rumbled over to score the first points of the evening. Prop, Dimitri Arhip was the man who finished off a powerful drive to silence the initially raucous Myreside crowd. As Sam Davies slotted over the simple conversion, the hosts held the early lead (0-7).

Edinburgh wouldn’t remain scoreless for long, however, and when Tovey was handed his second penalty opportunity of the night, he wouldn’t make the same mistake. The Welshman caressed the ball over from short yardage to put his side on the scoreboard (3-7).

Sam Davies would split the uprights with a rangy penalty to extend his side’s lead (3-10), but Edinburgh would react excellently to falling further behind and swiftly launched an impressive attack on the Ospreys try-line. With the forwards inching towards the visitor’s whitewash, the ball was played down the blind-side. With the scrambling defence zoning in on Cornell du Preez, the number eight impressively popped the ball to the awaiting Blair Kinghorn, who scampered over in the corner for his side’s first try of the evening. With Tovey converting, the match was all square (10-10).

Tovey – who was beginning to demonstrate the type of playmaking ability which saw him named man-of-the-match in last weekend’s victory over Benetton – would soon give his side the lead. The Welshman would nail not one, but two penalties to put Edinburgh up by six points (16-10). As Ospreys scrum-half, Brendon Leonard, was sent to the bin following a dangerous tackle, the visitors had it all to do at the break.

Edinburgh began the second-half with no dip in desire and very quickly scored their second try of the evening. Following some brilliantly timed dummy runs, Tovey released Kinghorn, who immediately burst through the vacant Ospreys defence. The full-back, who last week made his 50th appearance for the club, was able to carry the ball 20 metres before he was eventually cut down by the scrambling visitors’ defence. With James Johnstone arriving first on the scene, Kinghorn popped the ball to the centre, who swiftly played it back inside to the supporting Fowles. From there it was a footrace as the scrum-half cantered under the posts for the momentum grabbing score (23-10).

With the Myreside faithful showing their appreciation, Edinburgh began to turn the screw and at one point put together an attack which produced 36 phases. The hosts dominance was not being rewarded, however. That was until Jason Tovey produced a Houdini-like piece of magic. With Edinburgh pressing the visitors’ twenty-two, the ball was played down the blind-side. With the entire Ospreys defence drifting wide, Tovey threw a magnificent dummy before strolling over the whitewash. As the Welshman converted his own score, Edinburgh held a significant advantage (30-10).

With the hosts 20 points up with only 55 minutes on the clock, Richard Cockerill would ring the changes. Bradbury returned to action and immediately made his presence known with a series of impactful carries. However, despite the substantial lead, it was Ospreys who controlled much of the late proceedings. With time running out, Edinburgh made one last push for a bonus-point as Tovey spiralled a penalty into the corner. With phases building, the ball was played short to Bradbury, who ferociously bulldozed his way over the Ospreys line to secure the deserved, five-point earning victory (37-10).

live commentary 5:30 PM Saturday 4 Nov 2017

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates from the club.

sign up