Edinburgh v Ospreys

Edinburgh Rugby had to settle for a losing bonus-point tonight at Myreside as Ospreys recorded a 13-9 victory in an error-strewn affair.

Ospreys centre Josh Matavesi touched down for the sole try of the game on 20 minutes, with the score proving pivotal in dictating the flow of the game and the separating factor as the whistle blew for full-time.

Conditions dictated the tempo of the game, with all of Edinburgh’s points from the boot of stand-off Duncan Weir. His opposite number, Sam Davies, collected eight points from the tee to add to Matavesi’s score.

The game started slowly as both sides struggled to cope with the greasy ball.

Weir opened his side’s scoring account for the evening with a penalty on 15 minutes, before Davies followed suit with a successful strike from the tee just two minutes later (3-3).

The Welsh outfit took the lead shortly after with a try from Matavesi. Davies displayed exceptional vision to make a half-break before delivering a well-executed inside pass to his centre compatriot who duly cantered over the whitewash untouched by the defence.

Davies made no mistake with the simple conversion to put his side seven points ahead at the conclusion of the first quarter (3-10).

Edinburgh had a chance pull back a score before the break as wing Damien Hoyland was given space in the wide channels, yet he was brought down short of the line by the tenacious Ospreys scramble defence.

HALF TIME | Edinburgh Rugby 3 – 10 Ospreys

Edinburgh looked energised as they came out of the tunnel and kept the opposition pinned back in their half following the turn.

The home side were awarded a penalty at the ruck on 49 minutes and opted to kick to touch, a display of their intent and a reflection of the side’s momentum. On winning the lineout, Edinburgh rumbled towards the line through a driving maul, yet failed to cross the whitewash as the drive was brought down less than a metre short.

Weir reduced the deficit to four points from the subsequent penalty (6-10).

As he did in the first-half, Davies provided an immediate reply to his opposite number’s score with a long-range penalty to re-establish his side’s seven-point lead (6-13).

Weir added his third penalty of the day on 72 minutes to keep his side within touching distance of the opposition and build for another dramatic climax at Myreside (9-13).

Hodge’s side gathered possession from the kick-off and started to advance towards the opposition line through controlled phases. However, a knock-on as the clock went dead let Ospreys off the hook and ensured they returned to Swansea with four league points.

FULL TIME: Edinburgh Rugby 9 – 13 Ospreys

live commentary 7:35 PM Friday 3 Mar 2017

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates from the club.

sign up