Edinburgh v Munster Rugby

Edinburgh Rugby were edged out 10-9 by an on-form Munster, with only a second-half penalty from the Irish outfit’s stand-off, Tyler Bleyendaal, proving the difference between the sides.

The home-side went into the interval with their noses in-front (9-7) – stand-off Jason Tovey kicking all of Edinburgh’s points from the tee – and looked confident as they emerged from the turn.

However, Munster kept themselves in the game and Bleyendaal’s penalty – the only score in the second-half – was enough to secure the victory and take his side to the top of the Guinness PRO12 table.

The Myreside outfit did, however, benefit from the tight-loss in claiming a losing bonus-point, which lifts them into ninth in the league standings.

Edinburgh got the better of the visiting side in the opening exchanges, with Tovey opening the scoring in the seventh minute through a penalty awarded from a collapsed scrum (3-0).

Munster replied with a try from wing Ronan O’Mahony, who took full advantage of his side’s front-foot ball and intelligent attacking-play from Bleyendaal, to hit an inside line and dive in for the score, with the stand-off adding the extras. (3-7).

The visitors were reduced to 14-men on 24 minutes when scrum-half Duncan Williams was shown a yellow-card for slapping the ball out of Sean Kennedy’s hands at the ruck.

Tovey capitalised in slotting the resulting penalty to close the gap to a point, before putting his side ahead on 34 minutes with another successful effort from the tee (9-7).

Munster looked destined to score in the dying minutes of the half, but an incredibly gusty defensive effort from Edinburgh – with the returning John Hardie to the fore – ensured the home side went into the turn with the lead.

Half-time: Edinburgh Rugby 9 – 7 Munster Rugby

Conditions dictated the tempo of play in opening exchanges of the second-half as rain lashed down and caused a series of errors from both sides.

Munster came closest to scoring in the third quarter when Jack O’Donoghue broke up the middle of the park, yet back-row Magnus Bradbury brought an abrupt end to the attack with some tremendous work at the breakdown to win a penalty for his side and afford them the chance to clear danger.

The visiting side’s persistence in attack, however, soon paid dividends when they were awarded a penalty on 66 minutes, to which Bleyendaal needed no second invitation to knock over the bar and take Munster into the lead (9-10).

A territorial battle ensued as the game drew to a close with both sides opting to enter a kicking duel in a bid to force a costly backfield error.

Edinburgh held on to the ball deep into overtime and soon forced the Munstermen into committing a penalty offence at the breakdown on half-way, giving the home-side a late chance to clinch victory.

Full-back Kinghorn stepped up for the shot at goal from over 50 metres out, but the ball stooped marginally under the crossbar in an agonising end to the game for the home–side.

Full-time: Edinburgh Rugby 9 – 10 Munster

live commentary 7:35 PM Friday 3 Feb 2017

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates from the club.

sign up