Edinburgh v Newport Gwent Dragons

Edinburgh staged an incredible comeback, scoring three tries in the final ten minutes to overturn a 17-point deficit and claim a 24-20 victory in a thrilling Guinness PRO12 encounter at Myreside tonight.

With 10 minutes remaining on the clock, a try from Blair Kinghorn sparked his side into life. Damien Hoyland followed suit to reduce the deficit to just three points as the clock went into the red.

Captain Grant Gilchrist burrowed over the whitewash in the 83rd minute to cap an astonishing comeback.

Run of play

Edinburgh looked dangerous in the opening exchanges with Damien Hoyland, Junior Rasolea and Cornell du Preez all coming within metres of the opposition whitewash.

Despite not being able to open their try-scoring account, Tovey put Edinburgh ahead with a successful penalty on eight minutes (3-0).

The home side continued to plug away at the opposition with a high-tempo and fluid attacking game, but a try evaded their grasp in a promising opening half-hour.

It was the opposition, however, who broke the try deadlock with a score against the run of play from wing Pat Howard. A catalogue of handling errors from the home side handed over possession to Dragons, who duly shipped the ball wide for the wing to dive over in the corner. O’Brien added the extras before kicking another penalty ahead of the turn (3-7).

HALF-TIME: Edinburgh 3 – 10 Dragons

With momentum in their favour, Dragons continued to dominate possession and added their second score of the game through full-back Carl Meyer, who raced into the corner untouched after some slick handling from his backline cohorts (3-17).

It looked as though Kinghorn had initiated Edinburgh’s comeback on 64 minutes as he scampered over the line and touched down for the score. However, following a TMO consultation, the referee disallowed the try and Allan Dell was given marching orders for a no-arms clearance at the ruck in the build-up play.

Play immediately returned up the other end of the park and an O’Brien penalty opened up a 17-point gap with ten minutes remaining on the clock.

What followed was beyond all expectations as Edinburgh launched an astonishing comeback.

Murray McCallum came within metres of the line following a quick tap from Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, the last ditch tackle on the prop being deemed high and resulting in Dragons scrum-half Charlie Davies being sent for ten minutes in the bin.

Tovey stuck the ball into the corner and following a few controlled phases, the ball found Kinghorn, who stretched over the whitewash and was this time on the right end of the referee’s decision. His stand-off colleague added the extras (10-20).

The home side were evidently brimming with confidence and belief. Hodge’s charges closed the gap further with just two minutes left of normal time as Hoyland hit a wonderfully timed inside line off the shoulder of Tovey – again pivotal in setting-up the score against his former club – to saunter in for the score. The Welshman again converted to build for an incredible finale in front of a home crowd that was now on their feet (17-20).

With the clock in the red, Edinburgh maintained possession and showed no sign of letting up as the referee continually awarded penalties to the home side.

And it was the captain, Gilchrist, who led from the front and carried the ball - and his side - over the line three minutes over the 80-minute mark. The hearts of the fans undoubtedly climbed up into their throats as the referee asked for a second look from the TMO, but the grounding was good and the final whistle sounded as Tovey added the extras.

FULL TIME | Edinburgh 24 – 20 Dragons

live commentary 7:35 PM Friday 28 Apr 2017

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates from the club.

sign up