Edinburgh v Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow Warriors claimed their first win in four games against Edinburgh Rugby, and gained an advantage going into the second leg of the 1872 Cup as they claimed a 25-12 victory over the home side tonight at BT Murrayfield.

Edinburgh’s 12 points all came through the boot of stand-off Duncan Weir, while the visitors crossed the line on three occasions through Junior Bulumakau, Josh Strauss and Alex Dunbar, with Finn Russell adding ten points from the tee.

Warriors took the lead after less than a minute as wing Junior Bulumakau won the chase following an Alex Dunbar kick to touch down and score on his first start of the season (0-5).

Russell was unable to add the extras, but his opposite number, Weir, made no mistake from the tee with an eighth minute penalty to reduce the lead to two points (3-5).

Warriors were reduced to 14 men as the game went into the second quarter as prop Alex Allan was shown a yellow card for failing to roll away at the ruck. Weir put Edinburgh ahead with a successful kick from the resulting penalty (6-5).

Edinburgh dominated possession and territory for the following ten minutes, yet were unable to take advantage of their extra man before Glasgow returned to full complement.

The visitors regained the lead on 33 minutes as back-row Josh Strauss bundled over the line following a driving lineout maul, with Russell adding the extras to put his side six points ahead (6-12).

The Glasgow stand-off’s boot was again called into action as the clock went dead before half-time, as he struck a successful penalty to give his side a 15-6 lead at the break.

Half-time: Edinburgh Rugby 6 – 15 Glasgow Warriors

In an error strewn opening to the second-half, both stand-offs took a shot at goal with only the home side’s Weir successful in his attempt (9-15).

Glasgow restored their nine-point lead when Russell made amends for his earlier miss with a drop-goal after the ball blew off the tee at a penalty, however the deficit was soon brought back to six points as Weir bisected the uprights with a 59th minute penalty.

However, after a period of prolonged pressure on the Edinburgh line, Glasgow’s Alex Dunbar was the beneficiary of some effective handling from his teammates as he crossed the whitewash to score his side’s third try of the game. Russell added the extras to take the score to 25-12 in favour of the Glaswegians after 67 minutes.

Edinburgh mounted pressure on the Glasgow line in the final ten minutes, and it looked as if their efforts had been rewarded when replacement back-row Viliame Mata cantered through the opposition defence to cross the line. However, it was deemed that the ball was held-up upon grounding by referee Ian Davies, who then immediately blew the whistle to close the game.

Full-time: Edinburgh Rugby 12 – 25 Glasgow Warriors

live commentary 4:05 PM Monday 26 Dec 2016

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates from the club.

sign up